1. Why did you start CrossFit?
A friend from Southern California came up here to do the Spartan race. It looked very fun and I wanted to figure out how to complete it too. So after talking to him about what he was doing, I did a search for Crossfit and that was the start of it all.
2. How has CrossFit changed your life?I feel stronger, I have more range of motion, I walk and sit taller. Coming to the gym everyday has made me realize I can do more than I thought I could. It has opened doors to talking to my family (mainly kids) about better eating habits and about being more active.
3. What are some of the goals you have?
I really want to complete that first Spartan race. I am working on getting my first pull up and a handstand. One of my main goals is to get healthy and strong (that way I can beat George at something).
4. What would be your perfect workout?
No burpees please. I think it would be something involving wall balls, some rowing, squat cleans and toes/knees to bar.
5. What is your favorite thing about CrossFit Bios?
The people – they are awesome. The atmosphere is very laid back, fun and supportive. It is a true community of great people with a common goal of being active and healthy and supportive of one another.
6. What would you tell somebody just starting out or thinking about starting out?
All the workouts can be modified to fit you and your current abilities. Workouts will be a lot of work and they will hurt, but it’s a lot of fun and worth it. You will have tons of amazing support.
7. What is your previous fitness background?
I used to play softball and soccer. Because of the wear and tear, I had double knee replacement, June 2016 and August 2016. Even with that, I am fully participating in WOD’s at least 4 times a week. I am getting stronger every day, and my flexibility and range of motion are improving. I can get impatient, because I want to improve quicker, but with Peter’s guidance, I learn to be patient with my body as I develop proper technique and allow my body to heal and grow.
8. So, how about the Open 2017?
Yes, I am so happy I decided to participate. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to complete the published workouts, but I have been able to do every single one of them.
My favorite and most fun was 17.4 because I exceeded my expectations by leaps and bounds. The most difficult was 17.2 because of the lunges, but I was able to complete lunges in the proper form and that was very exciting. I am looking forward to the Open next year and see how far I improve.
9. What motivates and/or inspires you?
My friend and family inspire me, especially my new family at CrossFit Bios.
10. Something we don’t know about you (interesting fact, funny story, unique talent)?
I love science fiction and futuristic books and shows. I can also wiggle my nose like a rabbit.